Sunday, July 16, 2017

Week 3 Reflection: The halfway point

Hello all!

When I started this class I initially thought that I would not like blogging, or Twitter, or Reddit. However, after a few weeks of use, I have found that they aren't that bad. Blogging is almost therapeutic because I am able to get my thoughts out there without being interuppted in a debate about them with someone. I used Reddit for my community observation paper and really liked it because I felt like my posts were being appreciated. I could see the votes and comments and it really felt like a community.

Twitter is okay overall. I do not like the limiting characters because I am a long-winded person. But, it is helping me think about how to out my thoughts into a clear and concise package.

For the community paper, I was initially going to write about DCI which is a somewhat professional marching band. But, when I tried to find a community to observe, I became displeased. I could not find one that I could really engage in. So, I changed it to another personal interest: makeup. I did not know what to expect when going in to interact with the makeup community, but I was pleasantly surprised. Users were responsive, kind, and polite. I got a sense that people actually cared about helping others out with tips and advice, and enjoyed the two week experience. I will definitely be checking out Reddit for future makeup tips and tricks. Now, this knowledge tracking paper, that's not going as smoothly so far but, more on that next week.

2 comments:

  1. There are so many good and robust makeup communities! Interesting that the band stuff was more about broadcasting out (yes? I say this based on our earlier communication) and not as much about fostering community. I bet there are band communities out there, but they're probably more closed off, more difficult to find (smaller, tighter networks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa,

    I agree, it was hard to find a band community. But man the makeup communities were great!

    ReplyDelete