Sunday, July 9, 2017

Reflection of the Class so Far

Hello all!

I cannot believe we are a third of the way through the class. This past two weeks has been a lot work that I have never experienced in a 6 week summer class before, but it's rewarding. I am definitely learning  lot, and it is changing some of my views on things.

My favorite part has been how Raine and Wellman have talked about social networks extending past the computer. They way they explain it is so perfect and has made me gain an appreciation for the concept. It has also made me gain an appreciation for social media. I wrote in my last class on analytics about beauty gurus using social media to make a living. It really is fascinating how much can be done with it.

Another thing I have picked up on is how many people have negative thoughts about social media. It must be because of this class, because I am picking up on them a lot more. About 2 weeks before this class began, my mom started an instagram and really started getting into her facebook. Now, she is one of the first people to like everything and she is raving about it. Once she got passed her initial negative presumptions, she realized how they are a great way to stay in touch with all of these different groups of people.

The voicethread this week talked about context collapse and at the time I was riding with my boyfriend in his car while the audio played and the first thing he shouted out was oh yeah! Him and I both separate our different networks on to different social media sites. You can do things on some that you cannot do on others. This is one thing my mom picked up on as well.  She found that she likes instagram better because it is short and concise. She does not like how long people's posts can get on facebook, and how political things get. It is so interesting to take this course and be able to see some of the things in the real world. Excited to see what is to come in the last 2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment