Friday, July 7, 2017

Reminiscing about YouTube

Hello all!

So, this week’s social media networks to check out included YouTube. This happens to be a technology that I am very familiar with. I started my own YouTube back in 2008 to share my color guard videos. I actively tried different things to get more subscribers and watched hundreds of other successful videos until I ruralized that I simply do not have video content that is appealing to a large audience. So, I became happy with the following I did have.
I got annoyed when Google decided to merge its platform with YouTube a few years later. The look and feel of YouTube changed completely. The myspace feel customization was no longer there and it kept asking me to change my channel name of “wakullaguardgirl” to “Mallory”. But I already had over 100 subscribers and had grown attached to the name so I was very hesitant. I only ended up caving when I got to college and had to use my gmail account which had the address of wakullaguardgirl@gmail.com. I thought this was not professional so changed it to where my name appeared as my name.

However, some good things have come with the evolution of YouTube. My favorite newer feature is the YouTube playlists. YouTube has always had playlists that you can create yourself, but now it will create playlists for you that will autorun. It pulls information based on videos that you click on, or songs that are similar to the one you type it. For example, if you type in Shakira you will see the playlists that other users have created, but you will also see a YouTube specific one that will change things up as it learns which songs you skip and which you replay. It is really quite fascinating.

This learned playlists feature is something that 
has led me to want to get YouTube red. This is a subscription service similar to Spotify and Pandora but for videos. Key features that you do not already get are that you can turn off your screen or go into another app while the video still plays in the background (not possible on mobile without the subscription). The other feature is that it eliminates ads completely. I love using YouTube for how to videos, but it gets annoying when you go to watch something, and a 30 second ad pops up (something that did not used to exist). The last feature that they think they are selling, but is of no real interest to me is that they have their own YouTube red exclusive content similar to the Netflix Original concept.



The subscription is only $10 a month and since I do not currently have any music playing service  I think I will sign up for it and tell you all what I think here. Meanwhile, while checking out my old YouTube page I found that I had a photobucket linked to it and found this gem. Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mallory,

    Thanks for sharing your YouTube experience and commentary on YouTube Red. The pop up to get YouTube Red is starting to become as annoying as the pre-video commercials on the site. From the way you describe YouTube and what I've read -it sounds a lot like what I get with iTunes and I'm not interested in music videos for the most part so I think YouTube Red is really not for me, the ability to keep a video running while not on the page is an awesome additive though. I also didn't realize it was only $10 a month-thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grapefruit93!

      I watch so many tutorials on YouTube everyday for various things, but I can see how if it's just for music it might not be worth it

      Delete
    2. I came here to say exactly this...thanks for sharing, Mallory!

      Delete
  2. I love this new model that I first recognized Spottily doing and now see You Tube catching on to. They understand in order to get people using the app the listener must have access to all the music. The Spotify free model is limited access on mobile and nearly complete access on the desktop of course, with advertising. The subscription version is 10$ a month with no advertising and complete access. It took me a year or two before I finally bought in but my Spotify subscription is worth its weight in gold. I’m seriously considering joining “Red” because they are giving out Google Play accounts which would be the equivalent to my Spotify account. Two for one. I wonder if I can export all my playlists?

    Great post! Seems like You Tube has a homerun with this new feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacob!

      That would be so awesome if you could export the playlists. Let me know!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mallory~
    Wow~ there is quite a bit about YouTube that I apparently don't know:). Thanks for sharing! If you do decide to purchase the YouTube Red, please do keep us "in the loop" on your experience:).

    BTW, I love your blog background. Very cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NFL Flowers,

      I definitely will, and thank you!

      Delete